Monday, August 20, 2012

Minetta Tavern, West Village - NYC

Minetta Tavern
113 MacDougal St.
New York, NY 10012  
http://www.minettatavernny.com/

If ever there were a drink that was alone worth the time and expense of traveling to New York, it might be the Green Mary at Minetta Tavern ($14).  A Bloody Mary made with fresh green tomatoes, it has a sweet smokiness that lingers on the palate for minutes and on the brain far longer.  Literally every time I have an ordinary Bloody Mary, or even a good one, I think about this drink. This trip, I had my Green Mary with the Black Label Burger ($26).  For the price it should, at least, come with bacon.  Really, really good bacon, made by monks in the Black Forest, from hogs raised on a diet of Champagne and truffles.  Or maybe some cheese.  But, whatever, it's a good burger.  It does come topped with well carmelized onions and a side of nicely crisp, but kind of bland fries.  And a really, really good pickle.  Unlike the drink, the burger is not the sort of thing you lust after.  But I'd get it again, even considering the cost.  I'm a sucker for a good burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment